Sunday, October 23, 2011

Literature Analysis Number 2:

Death Of A Salesman by Arthur Miller


The basic plot overview of the play is about a man struggling through economic and family troubles. He debates between what's right and being well liked. He ultimately compromises his morals to achieve what he believes to be the American Dream. 


The theme of the play is the pursuit of the American Dream. The main character believes the best way to achieve this dream is through economic and social success. Because of this belief, he betrays and abandons many people in his life including his own family. 


The tone of the play is very descriptive. It is crucial for the story to be extremely detailed because it is a play and stage descriptions and directions are very important to understand the events.
Examples:
1. He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine . . . A salesman is got to dream, boy.
2.  I saw the things that I love in this world. The work and the food and the time to sit and smoke. And I looked at the pen and I thought, what the hell am I grabbing this for? Why am I trying to become what I don’t want to be . . . when all I want is out there, waiting for me the minute I say I know who I am.
3.  The man knew what he wanted and went out and got it! Walked into a jungle, and comes out, the age of twenty-one, and he’s rich! The world is an oyster, but you don’t crack it open on a mattress!


Three important literary themes that helped me understand the play were:


1. Characterization
The man knew what he wanted and went out and got it! Walked into a jungle, and comes out, the age of twenty-one, and he’s rich! The world is an oyster, but you don’t crack it open on a mattress!


2. Metaphor
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You’ll never get out of the jungle that way.


3. Diction
He don’t put a bolt to a nut, he don’t tell you the law or give you medicine. He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine… A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment